Reflux is when a baby brings up milk during or after feeding. Lots of parents go through this stage and I was no exception too. Usually gets better on its own and most babies grow out of their reflux within a year. Both, formula-fed and breastfed babies can be affected.
Reflux happens because muscles at the base of your baby’s food pipe haven’t fully developed. That’s why milk comes back up easily. The Baby’s stomach is small and may not be able to hold a lot of mils at once. Also, young babies lying down a lot, which also makes it easier for milk to come back up. This is why smaller and frequent feeds work very well for newborns and may help to ease reflux.
Signs for infant reflux:
– spitting up
– grumpy during feeding
– refusal or difficulty eating
– failure to gain weight
– frequent gagging
– hiccuping when feeding
Your baby does not usually need to see a doctor if they have reflux, as long as the baby is healthy, gaining weight, and is happy. Anyway, I recommend asking a health visitor for support and advice, for you to be relaxed.
But, you must have to ask a doctor for help if your baby has some of those symptoms:
– not improve after two weeks of trying to ease reflux
– losing weight or not gaining weight
– is older than one year and still has reflux
– gets it for the first time after the baby is six months old
– has a swollen tummy
– has a high temperature
– has blood in their poo
– not stop crying and is very distressed
– refusing to feed
What you can try to ease reflux:
– try giving your baby smaller and more frequent
– feed your baby in an upright
– hold your baby upright for about 20 minutes after each feed
– change their original formula
My baby had reflux in the first 5 months. She was in a mixed feed because I did not have enough breast milk. I started with solid food in the fifth and a half months when I stopped breastfeeding and continued with formula milk. After that, around the sixth month passed the baby’s reflux.
I hope this article has been helpful to you! I would love it if you leave a comment or share it! Thank you!